Cases where there may be abandonment, abuse or neglect of the child. The juvenile court’s job is to protect the children in the family.

The juvenile court can make orders in dependency cases. For example, these orders can:

  • Take children from their parents
  • Send children to live with relatives or in foster care or group homes
  • Terminate a parent’s rights
  • Place the child for adoption or guardianship
  • Work with other agencies to get the services the child needs
  • Refer the parents to various agencies to get the services they need

If the court takes a child from his or her home, a government agency is responsible for the child and the child's health, education, and care. The court can also order the agency to assist the parents in making their home safe for the child.

If your child is taken out of your home because of abuse or neglect, you have the right to have a lawyer represent you in court. If you do not have enough money to hire a lawyer, you can ask the court to assign a lawyer to your case. (You may have to pay part or all of the costs for your lawyer if you earn enough money.)

What happens in juvenile dependency court

If you and your child are involved in a juvenile dependency case, you must follow certain steps until your case is resolved. The court will explain what you must do and the deadlines you must meet. The court will try to resolve your case as quickly as possible. If your child becomes a “dependent of the court,” the court will make orders for you, your child, and the social worker. The court makes these orders to protect your child.

The court can order that:

  • Your child live in your home under court supervision; or
  • Your child live in a different home also under court supervision

If your child becomes a “dependent of the court” and the court does not order reunification services to help you get back together with your child, or reunification efforts fail, you can have your parental rights terminated and your child adopted by someone else.

REMEMBER: Throughout the court process, the social worker can explain how the process works. But the social worker cannot give you legal advice. If you have questions, ask your lawyer or the judge. Also, you must tell the court and the social worker where to mail you documents about your child. If you change your mailing address, you must tell your social worker immediately.
Also, if your child has any Native American Ancestors, you must notify the Court and the Social Worker right away. Please provide any details you can obtain.

Contact Information

  • Juvenile Hall: 925-957-2740
  • County Counsel: 925-335-1830
  • Contra Costa Juvenile Advocates (CCJA): 855-999-2252

Court Contacts

Juvenile Dependency Mediation Office: (925) 608-2075

Juvenile Dependency Mediators

  • Mary Carey 925-943-1843
  • Araceli Ramirez 925-458-2400
  • Barbara Suskind 925-372-4830

Additional Links

Click here for more information