The Contra Costa Superior Court Collections Unit is responsible for processing and collecting criminal court-ordered fines, fees, and restitution and delinquent traffic cases.

Court Collections Unit
Phone Hours8:00am - 3:00pm
Telephone(925) 608-1000
Fax(925) 608-2666
Mail Payments

P.O. Box 708900
San Antonio, TX 78270

****include name and case number on payment, and make check or money order payable to “Contra Costa Superior Court.”


Financial Services - Court Collections Unit
P.O. Box 1509
Martinez, CA 94553

3150 Camino Real, Suite D
Carlsbad, CA 92008

General Information

If you do not pay your criminal fines, fees, and/or restitution at the Court within 30 days of your court order, or your traffic fines and fees by the due date indicated on your failure to pay or failure to comply notice, your case will be referred to Linebarger for collections. You must call Linebarger at (844) 566-6558

If you have not received a notice from Linebarger within 30 days of your court order, you must call Linebarger at (844) 566-6558.

Note: Failure to pay your court fines and fees, update your address, or contact the Court Collections Unit about a payment problem may result in additional fees imposed on your case and referral to the Franchise Tax Board Court Ordered Debt and/or Tax Interception Program.

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I pay?

At Court: Cash, check, money order, or credit/debit card

At Linebarger: By credit card, check or money order. If paying by check or money order, please make payable to “Contra Costa Superior Court” and write your case number and name clearly on the payment.

To Pay In Person:

Payments on a collections account can be made at any Contra Costa County Superior Court location Monday-Friday, 8:00am to 4:00pm (except holidays). You will be provided a receipt for your payment.

  • Martinez: 725 Court Street, Room 127 (Criminal only)
  • Pittsburg: 1000 Center Drive.
  • Richmond: 100 - 37th St, Room 130.
  • Walnut Creek: 640 Ygnacio Valley Road.(Credit/debit card accepted for Traffic only)

Drop Box:

Payments may be dropped off at any Contra Costa County Superior Court. A receipt will not be mailed to you.

  • The Martinez drop box is available from 8:00am to 5:00pm outside the building at 725 Court Street, at the Main St. entrance.
  • The Pittsburg drop box is available from 8:00am to 5:00pm inside the building at 1000 Center Drive, in Pittsburg.
  • Drop boxes in Richmond and Walnut Creek courts are outside the buildings.

By Mail:

Mail Payments to:

P.O. Box 708900
San Antonio, TX 78270

Online or By Phone:

To pay by credit card, please visit or call Linebarger at (844) 566-6558. Be sure to have your account number when calling.

How do I contact the Court Collections Unit to change my mailing address, or discuss a payment problem?

    • Call Linebarger at (844) 566-6558.
    • Call the Court Collections Unit at (925) 608-1000 between the hours of
      8:00am-3:00pm Monday- Friday (except holidays)
    • E-mail the Court Collections Unit at
    • Mail correspondence to the Court Collections Unit, P.O. Box 1509, Martinez, CA 94553.

Why was my traffic citation fine increased?

If you fail to clear a citation by the due date you will be subject to increased bail,and/or a civil assessment fee up to $100.

What is Linebarger?

Linebarger Goggan Blair & Sampson, LLP (Linebarger) is a law firm that assists the court with the collection of traffic citations and criminal court ordered fines and fees. If you have received a notice from them, you must call (844) 566-6558.

What fines may be owed on a juvenile case?

Contra Costa County has eliminated all fees related to juvenile detention and probation previously collected by the County Probation Department. For questions regarding these fees, contact Danielle Fokkema, Chief Financial Officer, Probation Department, at However, a juvenile defendant may still owe victim’s restitution, State restitution fine and other criminal fines, penalties and assessments ordered by the Court. Contact Linebarger at (844) 566-6558 about what Court-ordered fines are owed.

Will I have to pay fines, fees, Victim Restitution if I file Bankruptcy?

Any fines, and fees imposed by the court are still in force as outlined in Title 11 of the USCS §523, “Exceptions to discharge” (a) (6), (7), (9), and (13). These codes state in part, “… to the extent debt is for a fine, penalty, forfeiture payable to and for the benefit of a governmental unit, and is not compensation for actual pecuniary (commercial) loss, other than a tax penalty. A victim restitution order is not dischargeable in bankruptcy as outlined in U.S. Supreme Court KELLY v. ROBINSON, 479 U.S. 36 (1986).

Certain fines or fees may be dischargeable depending on the type of bankruptcy filing. However, individuals may not have their victim restitution order discharged in bankruptcy court. Submit copies of your bankruptcy filing and order to Linebarger or to the Court Collections Unit for review.

I am unemployed. How can I pay?

Contact Linebarger at (844) 566-6558.

What happens if my check bounced?

A $50 returned check fee will be assessed to the case and payment must be resubmitted.

I went to prison. Do I still owe the fine?

Yes. For status of your fine, please contact the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

What is the Court Ordered Debt (COD) Program ?

In an effort to reduce the amount of court-ordered debt, the California Legislature allowed the Franchise Tax Board and Courts to form partnerships to collect court-ordered debts. The COD Program is authorized under Section 19280 of the California Revenue and Taxation Code. When a Court refers cases to the COD Program, they will first mail you a demand for payment. If the debt is not resolved, the COD Program may collect the debt from your paycheck or bank account.

Why is the COD Program collecting my fines and fees owed to the Superior Court in Contra Costa County?

The COD Program is collecting because your account has become delinquent. Criminal fines and fees are separated by Condition of Probation and Not a Condition of Probation. Those fines and fees that are not a Condition of Probation can become delinquent and qualify for the COD Program.

Who do I contact if I have specific questions regarding my account?

The COD Program cannot provide information regarding your account. You must contact Linebarger at (844) 566-6558.

What is the Tax Intercept Program?

Pursuant to California State Government Code Sections 12419.8 and 12419.10, your name may be submitted to the California Franchise Tax Board if you fail to pay your court-ordered debt(s). If you are entitled to a state tax refund, state lottery winnings, or unclaimed property, the Tax Intercept Program will send you a notice stating the intercepted amount of your refund, and the government agency where the refund will be directed.

What happens if I have already paid my case in full and the court has intercepted my state tax refund?

If your case has been paid in full and your refund has been intercepted, and you do not have any other outstanding debt to Contra Costa County Superior Court, a refund check will be issued to you a minimum of 90 days from the date of the letter you received. To assist in getting your refund check faster, please make sure that the Court Collections Unit has your correct mailing address on file.

What happens if I do not owe Contra Costa County Superior Court money and my taxes were intercepted?

Immediately contact Linebarger at (844) 566-6558 and we will research why your taxes were taken.

What if the case number on the Tax Intercept Program letter does not match the case number that I owe monies on?

The reference number on the Tax Intercept Program Letter is only a reference number for the court. You may have multiple cases but only one case number will appear on the letter. The amount intercepted will be applied to the case(s) on which monies are owed.

What if the case number reference on the Tax Intercept Program letter has a balance more than what is owed on the case?

The court will apply any amount over what is owed on the case to any other open case(s) for the defendant. If all cases are paid in full, the overage will be refunded
to you.

What happens when I'm ordered to pay Victim Restitution through the Court Collections Unit?

If the judge ordered you to pay victim restitution and the amount was:

  • Set at sentencing:
    • Your court order will state the amount of victim restitution owed.
  • TBD (To Be Determined) at Sentencing:
    • You will receive the following via mail:
      • Supplemental Report, Proposed Order and Notice to Defendant.
    • You will have 60 days from the date of the Notice to Defendant letter to dispute the amount before the court.
    • If you desire a hearing,
      • in adult cases, you must contact the Criminal Clerk’s Office;
      • in juvenile cases you contact your Probation Officer.

Are there Statutes of Limitations on Victim Restitution?

There is no statute of limitations on restitution fines and orders. This order may be enforceable in the same manner as a civil judgment and remains in effect until the obligation is fully satisfied.

If the court ordered you to pay victim restitution, California Penal Code § 1202.4(f)(5) states you must complete and file a financial disclosure statement with the court on the “Defendant's Statement of Assets” form (CR-115).

What can happen if I do not make my payments as agreed for Victim Restitution?

The court can take, but is not limited to, the following actions:

  • Collection actions may be taken against you.
  • Pursuant to California Government Code § 12419.8 and 12419.10, the court may intercept your state tax refund, state lottery winnings, or unclaimed property to pay any outstanding balance you owe the court.
  • A Violation of Probation may be filed if you fail to make your payments as agreed.
  • Collection actions may be taken against you, which can include added fees and/or liens against your property.

If I am a victim, how will I receive monies paid by the defendant?

  • When a payment is received by the defendant, the payment will be pro-rated (if multiple victims). Payment will be held in trust for 30 days before a check is disbursed to the victim(s).
  • We will refer restitution owed to you for collections; however, we cannot guarantee payment.
  • The court may receive money and disburse to the victim(s) as long as a balance is owed on the victim restitution.
**** As the victim, it is your right to pursue collections of restitution on your own at any time. If you choose to do this, you must obtain a certified Abstract of Judgment from the criminal clerk’s office.

If I am a victim, what do I do if I have moved or have a name change?

Notify the Court Collections Unit in writing of any changes to your address and/or name change.

Please direct inquiries, which include the case number and defendant's name, to:

If the defendant is in State Prison, how do I collect my Victim Restitution?

Contact the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation at:

Toll Free Phone: 1 (877) 256-6877

Mailing Address:
California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
Office of Victim and Survivor Services
P.O. Box 942883
Sacramento, CA 94283-0001

You may also contact the Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office – Criminal Restitution Specialist at 925-957-8655 for more information.