Traffic Court Frequently Asked Questions


Help Me Find...


NOTE: The court does not handle parking tickets. 
If you received a parking citation, contact the city where the vehicle was parked. This information is printed on the ticket.


Payments made online after 5 PM will not be posted until the following business day.

Click on the questions below to get answers to some of the questions people have about their traffic tickets:

How do I pay the fine?

Back to Top

Options for payment of traffic fines and fees if you have not made an appearance in court:

To pay your fine by mail, send a check or money order (payable to Superior Court) any time before your court date. Write your docket number and the name of the person who received the citation on the check or money order to insure proper credit. Please be sure that we have your current mailing address. The mailing address for each branch court is at the bottom of this page. You have the convenience to pay your ticket online if your ticket does not require a proof of correction.

To pay your traffic ticket on line click here:  PAY YOUR TRAFFIC TICKET ONLINE

Options for payment of traffic fines and fees after you have made an appearance in court:

  • Pay your fine or proof fee in full within 48 hours of your appearance at the Clerk’s office.
  • Pay your fine in full within 60 days through AllianceOne.
  • Pay your fine in installments through AllianceOne.

If you wish to pay your fine in full in 60 days or make monthly installments, all further transactions are handled by the Court’s collection agency, AllianceOne.You may contact this agency one week after your court appearance. A $30.00 accounts receivable fee will be added to your total if you choose to in 60 days.  A $50.00 installment fee will be added for payment made in installments.

P.O. Box 2449
Gig Harbor, WA. 98335-2449

What if I want to plead “not guilty” and have a trial?

Back to Top

If your ticket is not delinquent, you may appear at the clerk’s office Monday through Friday excluding holidays between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. and enter a “not guilty” plea with the clerk’s office, excluding Juveniles and mandatory appearances. You will be given a Court Trial date to appear in court and the officer who cited you will be notified to be present on the trial date.
You may have a trial by written declaration, which will not require you to appear in court. To have a trial by written declaration, you must enter a plea of “not guilty” and post the full fine amount reflected on your courtesy notice. Then you will present your case in writing. You may do this by mail or at the clerk’s office. Once a decision is made you will be notified by mail.

  • If you are found “not guilty” your fine will be refunded to you by mail within six weeks of the decision.
  • If you are found “guilty” your fine will be applied to your case.

Juveniles:  Some courts may require the juvenile to appear in court with a parent to enter a “not guilty” plea. Check with the court located on the bottom of your ticket or courtesy notice. 

Can I go to traffic school?

Back to Top

In general, you may attend traffic school if you have not attended traffic school in California in the past 18 months and have a valid California license. Your courtesy notice will reflect whether or not you are eligible for traffic school. If you qualify for traffic school:

  • Go to the clerk’s office at the court location on the bottom of your ticket and pay the fine and the $62.00 traffic school administrative fee.
  • You can also attend traffic school by paying your fine and the $62.00 administrative fee by mail or online here:  PAY YOUR TRAFFIC TICKET ONLINE

It is your responsibility to make sure that the court receives your completed traffic school certificate.

  • If you attend traffic school in a classroom, the Court will receive an electronic copy of Completion.
  • If you attended an online traffic school the court will receive an online traffic school certificate from the online school.

NOTICE: If you are eligible and decide not to attend traffic school your automobile insurance may be adversely affected. One conviction in any 18-month period will be held confidential and not show on your driving record if you complete a traffic violator school program.

What if I got a “fix it” ticket?

Back to Top

If you received a ticket for a mechanical or "fix-it" violation, you must have the problem corrected. Once you have corrected the problem, take your ticket to a police station and ask a police officer to sign off your ticket located on the reverse side of your ticket. You must return the signed-off ticket to the court with the fees shown on your courtesy notice.

If you received a ticket for no registration or lack of current tabs, you may have the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) sign your ticket off once your registration is current. You must return the signed off ticket to the court with the fees shown on your courtesy notice.

Department of Motor Vehicleshttp://www.dmv.ca.gov/

Insurance violations cannot be signed off by a police officer. 

What if I have a driver’s license hold or warrant?

Back to Top

If you received a notice from the Department of Motor Vehicles that there is a hold on your driver’s license, you may clear the hold by paying the entire fine amount OR you may appear if in Falure to Appear status. Check with the court for your eligibility and the appearance days and times.

What if my ticket is for lack of current insurance?

Back to Top

If you received a ticket for an insurance violation, you must provide the court with written evidence of financial responsibility. This means you must show proof of having had a valid insurance policy when you received the ticket. To prove you have the required insurance:

  • You must show that the insurance policy was in effect on the date you received your ticket.
  • The vehicle you were driving was covered by the insurance policy

If you are unable to provide all of the proof described above, you must appear in court. Insurance violations cannot be signed off by a police officer. 

What if my ticket is for Driving Under the Influence (DUI)?

Back to Top

If you have received a DUI ticket, your court hearing date and time will be listed on the ticket. The court will also send a notice about your hearing to the address registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles. If you did not get a notice, or are unsure about when you have to come to court, please call the criminal clerk's office for the branch listed on your ticket.

Driving after you have taken drugs or alcohol is not safe! You can hurt yourself or someone else, and the court can make you:

  • Pay fines, mandated fine penalties, and fees when your car is impounded,
  • Spend time in jail or prison,
  • Lose your driver’s license or driving privilege for 6 months,18 months, 3 years, or, in some cases, permanently.
  • Have your car impounded or taken away permanently.

Your punishment might be even more serious if:

  • Your blood alcohol level was .20% or more,
  • You refused to do a chemical test,
  • There was a child under 14 years of age in the vehicle,
  • You are also convicted of reckless driving at high speed,
  • You drive under the influence again and hurt or kill someone.

More information on what can happen if you get a DUI




Tell us about your court experience


Report website problems