What if I Want to Change an Order Made in My Divorce Judgment?

en español>

The orders made by a judge at the time of your divorce were based on information that was correct at that time. However, over the years things may change. For example, you may lose your job, inherit large sums of money, remarry or register a new domestic partnership. Some things in your judgment can be modified (changed) by a judge. For example:  

  • You might ask to change child custody or visitation orders, if one parent wants
    to move out of the area, or the child's needs change. For more information, click here. Opens new window
  • You might ask to change child, spousal or partner support if there has been a change in financial circumstances. For more information, click here. Opens new window

Some orders may not be changed. Usually the division of your property is not subject to modification.  Or, if you and your spouse or partner agreed that spousal or partner support may not be modified, the courts will usually follow that agreement. If you have questions about what you can and cannot ask to be changed, consider consulting an attorney who has experience in this area of the law.




Did this information help you?  Tell us what you think.