You will need a copy of the English-language Judicial Council form MC-030 to follow these instructions. Also:

Filling out the Caption on your form

Attorney or Party without Attorney” - if you do not have an attorney, fill in your name, address, and telephone number.

If you would like the court to communicate with you by fax or email, you may give them that contact information, but you do not have to. 

Attorney For (Name)” – if you do not have an attorney, write “self represented.”

SUPERIOR COURT OF CALIFORNIA, COUNTY OF” – write the name of the County where you are filing your case. Click here for location of courts.
Write the name of the court where the hearing will be held.
Plaintiff/Petitioner” – Write your name again.
Defendant/Respondent” – Leave blank.
This is the TITLE of the form.
For Court Use Only” – Leave blank.
Case Number” – Write in the case number.

Filling out the rest of your form


At the top of the blank area, write: “DECLARATION IN OPPOSITION.”

In this Declaration you need to:

  • explain to the judge why a guardianship is not in your child’s best interests, or

  • explain to the judge why you object to this particular person being guardian.

When you have filled out the Declaration to the best of your ability, you need to file it at the courthouse.

At the bottom of the page:


Write the date that you finish working on this form.


Print your name and sign your name.

Remember that when you sign this form, you are promising “under penalty of perjury”  that what you write on this form and on attached pages is true and correct.


Check  the box for “Respondent”.