Asking for Help

en español>

Handling a court case can be difficult and confusing. For this reason, many people consider getting expert help.

For free and low-cost legal help in California:

Go to the California Courts website for help from these groups below: click here. Opens new window

  • Court-based self-help services
  • Legal aid agencies and other non-profit groups
  • Government agencies
  • Lawyer-referral services and bar associations
  • Dispute resolution programs

For specific information about help in Contra Costa County, California: click here.

If people are thinking about legally ending their marriage or registered domestic partnership, they often need more than just legal help. For example:

  • The people involved, and their children, may be afraid or have a hard time dealing with their feelings or emotions at this time.
  • They may also be worried about where they will live, how they will find work, or pay for child care. 

Please know that there are people who want to help. Sometimes it takes talking to several people before the right person is found, so ask everyone what he or she recommends. Don't give up!

Some other resources or options to consider include:

  • Go to a library, buy a self-help book, or look on the internet.

    • To find your nearest California Public Law Library in your county, click here. Opens new window

  • Domestic violence information: Domestic violence crisis hotline, shelter and support staff; Victim Witness Assistance program; batterers treatment or anger management groups; restraining order clinics;
  • Mental health information: Counselor, crisis hotline, social worker, or other health professional trained in family issues; books, videos, and other materials;
  • Spiritual support: Priest, minister, rabbi, or other religious leader trained in family counseling;|
  • Employment information: Local unemployment agency or other department;
  • Help with child care: School districts, local job training programs, and area preschools;
  • Information about and support for children affected by divorce: Schoolteacher, children's counselor, youth leader, pediatrician, books, videos, and other self-help materials.
    • If you are parents who have decided to end your marriage and want to help your children during this difficult time, there are many resources available. 
      One website that might be helpful to you is: http://www.kidsturn.org/. Opens new window
  • Support during mediation or court proceedings: Family members and friends.  
  • Mexican citizens living in Northern California can now get free legal help 24 hours a day through a hot line launched by the Bay Area's Mexican Consulates. Callers will speak with a lawyer or paralegal who can handle questions related to immigration, labor law, family law, and civil and criminal matters. 1-800-668-1005
  • More Helpful Links Opens new window

Did this information help you?  Tell us what you think.